View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 04:14 PM   #217
AndreaDraco83

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyB View Post
But I wonder where/why you believe that GK2 did portray him as a gay man - personally I'd say it portrays him as I've suggested above, with the wolf aspect adding additional uncertainty.
I believe it's because of the novel, where Herr Dallmeier explains a little bit more about Ludwig. Here, take a look. Grace and Josef are talking about Chapill's biography (in a scene taking place in Chapter Six):

"To tell you the truth, that book made me so angry, I never even finished it."
Grace studied Dallmeier. "Because it said Ludwig was gay?"
"No!" Dallmaier scoffed.
"Was he?"
Dallmaier took a long sigh and slouched down on the bench again, planted both feet carefully. "Yes. That's the simple answer. Oh, some of our stodgiest historians still deny it, but it's pretty much common knowledge."
"But there were women."
"There were women, especially when he was younger. But as he grew older, he became more true to his stripe, as they say."

Jane Jensen, Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within, Roc 1998, pp. 236

A little later, when they are talking about the oath taking in the diary and Chapill's interpretation of this as a sign of Ludwig's sexuality, Dallmaier says:

He paused, then exploded passionately. "Ludwig was no pude! He loved Byron and the French court! He understood his feeling, and I don't think that he was ashamed of them. [...] He didn't care what anybody thought - about anything! If he didn't care that they complained about his spending a fortune on those castles, why should their narrow-mindedness about sexuality make him feel guilty? No, all evidence if that he pursued exactly whom and whatever he wanted to pursue."

Jane Jensen, Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within, Roc 1998, pp. 237
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box