View Single Post
Old 03-15-2010, 12:21 PM   #215
Tiocfaidh

Although I don´t take part in this playthrough I immensly enjoy reading all your comments and observations.
It´s a shame that this has to be the last of the Gabriel Knight playthroughs

Well at least, Gray Matter´s lurking round the corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
An Italian director, Luchino Visconti, dedicated a movie to Ludwig, the huge and somewhat intimidating Ludwig, whose complete version runs for more than 280 minutes. The movie is breath-taking and a real masterpiece, and I strongly recommend you to see it. To whet your appetite, this is a tribute video to the movie I found on YouTube and this a tribute to Ludwig using scenes from Visconti's opera maestra (and with Mansell's stunning soundtrack from Aronfsky's Requiem for a Dream, another movie I strongly recommend).
I have the DVD but never got around watching the movie from start to finish.
I recently got myself a HD-TV, which should do the awesome cinematography justice.

Another good (IMO very good) movie about Ludwig II with exceptional acting by O.W. Fischer as Ludwig and Klaus Kinski in a supporting role is Ludwig II: Glanz und Ende eines Königs .

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047195/

It starts off kinda light-hearted but gets darker and darker as it progresses.
I don´t think there´s an original score, all you hear is music composed by Wagner.
It´s an old fashioned movie (by all means, it´s from 1955) but pretty bold for it´s time depicting Ludwig´s fragile mental state and Wagner´s selfishness. It certainly is NOT a "Sissi" movie (thank God for that).

I recommend it to everyone interested in the Ludwig character and everyone being a fan of
GABRIEL KNIGHT II.

Some of the scenes, especially near the end are very touching thanks to the great acting, subtle direction and powerful music.
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series