View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #3778
DustyShinigami
The Quiet One

Alice in Wonderland

... Bleh. This film disappointed me. To be fair, I've not been impressed with Tim Burton's latest movies at all. His last 'recent' film I really liked was Corpse Bride.

I was really looking forward to Alice, but sadly, it's one of those 'mainstream' films that I'm, quite frankly, sick of and it's not one I need to see again. This movie is a perfect example of style over substance - loads and loads of CGI. I miss Burton's dark and gothic look, which was sprinkled about here and there in Alice, but not like in his older movies. I also miss the hand-made miniatures, stop-motion animation and 'Burton-esque' humour from the past. This movie just felt artificial. And while it did have the occasional humorous scene, it just felt so typical and common. It's always the same in movies today.

I lost count how many times my mind wandered off. The story and the characters didn't do much for me and neither did Danny Elfman's score.

It's because of mainstream films that I've turned my attention to foreign films/shows lately from the likes of Sweden, Spain, Japan etc. The one movie that has got my interest is Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, which I can't wait to check out soon. I reckon I'll enjoy that a lot more than this CGI-fest.

Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour