View Single Post
Old 03-11-2010, 01:50 AM   #173
DaveyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
Chapter 4, I remember it fondly. Prepare for a cascade of information and history, and let's worship Jane Jensen's love for research!
That's for sure And most of it very well researched, that's for sure, even if there is a slightly "touristy-perspective" of Ludwig II at times - I'd question whether he was really that "loved" by the people at the time & certainly now most Bavarians just think he was a king who built some impressive (if rather Kitsch) castles but certainly had at least one screw loose

But the history and settings are broadly accurate. The inside of Neuschwanstein is very similar, with even the Singer's Hall being close (but obviously different) to what is portrayed in the game. I haven't been inside Neuschwanstein since playing the game, but had been in at least twice beforehand. You're not allowed to take photos inside but, if you have a look at Wikipedia, you'll find some of the main rooms shown, including the main backdrop tapestry in the Singer's Hall - green background the same as in GK2, but no wolf . Shame we don't get a picture of Herrenchiemsee - modelled by Ludwig II on Versaille...but had of course to be a bit bigger . Sure any of you can find pictures easily enough on Wiki or wherever if you're interested.

I find the acting overall (all things considered) very good in GK2, even many of the minor characters. Hennemann, Von Aigner, and Preiss are all really strong, also Werner Huber, and Gerde herself is certainly solid. Klingmann too. Others are OK - von Zell, Thomas, Harry (sorry, no better than that ). Also many of the no-name characters like the woman in the post office, the first policeman, or the TV reporter. But as previously commented, Leber's got his flaws, as his Xavier, and in chapter 4, we meet maybe the worst of the lot...

The woman in the Museum! Implausibly aggressive, probably not a German native speaker (accent is a bit too harsh & clipped - I'd guess she's Dutch), and no Bavarian would greet people with "Guten Tag" - that's only used by Northern Germans. "Grüß Gott" ("Gruess Gott" for anyone without German letter recognition), approximately translated as "Greetings to God" was still standard in the 90s for all greetings, and even now certainly still the norm for older Bavarians (and probably all people in the countryside - Munich, being a big city, is a bit different).