View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 06:40 AM   #3771
geggis
the midnight rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Isn't its purpose to entertain?
I'm not getting into the purposes of film, but The Hurt Locker was too preposterous to be given the realistic treatment. I went in expecting some insight into the life of a bomb disposal squad in Iraq and instead came out chewing on some pumped up, macho, fantasy BS. You could say that's my fault for not viewing it on its own merits but even as a Hollywood flick, William James was such an arsehole that wanting a bomb to blow up in his cowboy face somewhat undermined the tension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denaron View Post
Yeah, I must agree with you. What do you think about the ending? I thought it was brilliant.
Spoiler:
I could swear that Luisa's sadness had something to do with her husband. When Tenoch said that she had cancer, at the end of the movie, everything made sense to me. I realised how important that trip was to her.

Have you ever seen The Motorcycle Diaries (Diarios de Motocicleta)? It has a similar plot, also with Gael Garcia. It's about the road trip Che (Guevara) did when he was young, before being a revolutionary. Highly recommended!
AHH! Thanks for that, I knew Gael Garcia played Che in something, I couldn't for the life of me remember what it was though. I kept saying the film 'Che' much to my girlfriend disagreeing. Of course that was Benicio Del Toro. I haven't seen it no, but shall put it on the pile!

Regarding Y Tu Mama Tambien:

Spoiler:
The film was steeped in tragedy the moment you realised her affliction. It was also sad to see Tenoch and Julio drift apart after that trip. I think there was a theme of opportunism running through it as well which I suppose is a staple existential device. Both Luisa and the boys seemed to be making the most of their situations for entirely different reasons. It's very sad film really despite its humour.