View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 04:34 AM   #1
CR34M3 CR4CK3R

Default Alida (DVD ver.) - repeated crashing

Hi,
I've recently bought some old adventure games to play along with a friend. With varying degrees of frustration I've managed to get most of them working. Alida (DVD ver.), however, is still being a bit stubborn. It was released in 2004 so I wouldn’t expect it to hang-up all the time.

Right, to the problem – in short; intro plays through the intro, you start playing for a few nodes and then the game crashes. Typical places (to give an idea of progress before crash); at the cage/ball to your left (after starting) or the metal stairs going up (to the right, following the passage). The standard XP crash dialogue appears: “Alida Adventure Game has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.”

I’ve tried a few fixes from the Alida website (http://www.alidagame.com/supportPC.html) and things that have worked for me in the past:
- Reinstalled the game. Still crashing.
- Did a ‘full install’ as described on Alida site. Still crashing.
- Re-installed Quicktime (from the Alida DVD). Still crashing.
- Fiddled with the Compatibility settings for Alida.exe. Still crashing.
- Disabled Crossfire for my ATi cards. Still crashing.
- Tried the Alida patch (from the Alida site). They weren’t lying – it only works on the CD version.
- Tried disabling all the sounds in the game (as this was cited as a cause for some crashes on the Alida site). Still crashing.

I’m out of ideas. Has anyone else experienced this problem or know of a fix? As a last resort I could set up a Win98 virtual machine, but that feels like so much trouble for a 2004 game.

Thanks

PC Specs:
CPU: Core2Duo E6750 2.66GHz
RAM: 2GB DDR2-1066MHz
GPU: ATi HD4870 512MB (x2)
HDD: 320GB, 250GB, 160GB

Last edited by CR34M3 CR4CK3R; 03-08-2010 at 04:36 AM. Reason: typo