View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 02:48 AM   #26
Intense Degree
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
They were ready for release, that's why they sent it for approval, right? So I don't know how you can assume that the team members might be relieved...
Firstly, I don't assume, I wonder! Although I am an idiot who can't spell relieved properly!

It's not based on anything concrete beyond what I have seen of this project over the years. When it started up it was mainly people who were at school/university with bucket loads of free time and enthusiasm. Obviously real life in the ensuing years swallowed a lot of productivity and including delays of the cease and desist of 2005 and other periods where for one reason or another little work was done on the game it must have been massively disheartening for those working on it. Plans had to be modified to drop the bulk of the game from production and the finished product was becoming smaller and smaller and further and further away.

8 years is a very long time in terms of game development of any kind with only a demo to show for it (good as it was).

Also you have the problems of aging graphics, which simply will not look as good years down the line (and with every respect for all the artists involved, who are still a million times better than I am!)

Personally I got the feeling from the site that the whole thing was becoming a chore, and I don't blame them for feeling like that, I know I would have. To some extent then, I wonder if the team are not at least a little bit relieved that they can finally put this endeavour to rest and shift this 8 year weight from their shoulders. I'm not seeking to demean them in any way, but I know I would feel a bit like this in their circumstances.