View Single Post
Old 02-23-2010, 08:24 PM   #51
Trunkyo
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

I've been wanting to replay GK2 for a several years, so this playthrough is a perfect opportunity! Even though I didn't have enough time to replay GK3 or take part in the GK1 PT, I still enjoyed following both discussions. Andrea, as always, your detailed insights and the "extras" you include in your introductions show just dedicated you are to the GK (and Jane Jensen) fandom!

The switch to FMV for GK2 was certainly an ambitious move. There isn't too much I can add to the debate over which Gabe was better. For some reason, I liked Tim Curry's GK1 Gabe best, followed by Dean Erickson's "cool and casual" Gabe and then Curry's "sly and sarcastic" GK3 Gabe. As for Grace, I definitely prefer Joanne Takahashi over Leah Remini (For North American TV viewers, Leah Remini is probably best known as Carrie from The King of Queens.) And as Little Writer already mentioned, the late Kay Kuter (Werner Huber) also provided the voice of the roulette croupier in Grim Fandango. As soon as I heard his first words in the opening movie, I couldn't help thinking, "Les jeux sont faits. No more bets, please!" Luckily, I could still understand most of the German spoken so far in the game.

The soundtrack CD (included in the Gabriel Knight Mysteries collection) is superb, from the stirring opening theme to the dramatic and suspenseful tracks. (I don't think I can say too much about the more dynamic pieces without spoiling it plotwise for those playing for the first time. )

There was a previous thread where I mentioned that I hope to visit Munich (and the some of the other locales for GK2) in the near future for one of my adventure gaming "pilgrimages". Not coincidentally, New Orleans and Rennes-le-Château are also on the list.

I've already started Chapter 2... the "icy chill" at Schloß Ritter makes me want to reach for an extra sweater!