View Single Post
Old 02-22-2010, 01:01 PM   #36
DaveyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
@Danigar: I will give you the gist of the German lines but you may be disappointed.
99% right I think Fien (with obviously some possible translation variations), not bad for the "gist" . Only thing I think you missed was
Spoiler:
after (I think) the policeman said "Goodbye", he then said "the door please".

@Danigar: As Fien says, there's nothing stunning in the German that you're missing (nor should there be) but the policeman's very nicely done and the conversation between von Zell & Klingmann makes sense later on. All well done: you're not missing anything if you don't understand German, but it's a nice little "extra" if you do - all typical of Jane Jensen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Let's start with the Huber farm:The books in the sideboard, which are mostly about religious matters, and the crucifix certainly tell us that the Hubers are a very catholic family, perhaps even a slightly bigoted one
Much as it almost feels like sacrilige to disagree with Andreas on the subject of Gabriel Knight, but I can't go along with that. I'm not spotting the books in the sideboard at all (maybe they're mentioned in the book? Or am I being blind?) and having a cross in the wall in countryside (as opposed to Munich - quite a different thing!) Bavaria doesn't actually show the inhabitants are necessarily very Catholic, and certainly not bigoted. It's a common cultural thing, the same as school classrooms still have a cross on the wall. It doesn't actually signify that the people are strict Catholics.