View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
ozzie

Old thread, but I didn't feel like I wanted to argue about this before.

The reason why I write now is that I noticed that I wanted to post comments on a few entries, but didn't because I worried that it wouldn't be on-topic enough and so that it would be a waste of time if I write it.
Personally, I don't see a problem when it goes off-topic. On Adventure-Treff and Rock Paper Shotgun many interesting discussions sprung up about games in general, genre conventions or whatever. I wouldn't want to miss them.
On the other side, especially on Adventure-Treff, the quality of the comments can sink to a really low, trollish level. I definitely could do without those.
RPS had at one point a very high level of intercourse, but in the past angry, reactionary comments increased. But it's pretty good for the lax moderating.

So I do like it that you try to keep the quality of the comments high, even if there is the occasional non-constructive on-topic comment like "too low score", but I don't like the penalization if it goes off-topic. For me, a discussion flows natural, so the topic changes naturally, too. And I hate it if it's broken off and pushed into another, specific thread.
And honestly, I don't understand the advantage of being so strict.