View Single Post
Old 02-07-2010, 04:05 PM   #52
Sughly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linque View Post
This is maybe a bit off-topic, but even if a product isn't the most efficient out there, you can't say that it is bad if its purpose is to entertain and increase someone's quality of life and the persons who bought it enjoy using it.

This is not to say anything about the iPad as a product, though. Just that if it eventually sells well and people do enjoy using it, you can't say that the product is garbage, since it fulfills its only purpose for those people very well in that case.
I agree, and in what kadji-kun is saying that strengthens this point even more. My gripe is that most people won't buy it because they find it useful for whatever reason, but because it is the next apple 'thing', even if they have devices such as an iphone and/or laptop that will give them the same results. I can only go by the people I know around me that are buying one, and I know for for a fact this is the case with ALL of them.

This is beyond arguing technical aspects and this vs. that, this is apple selling culture in the case of my friends in question, and I think that apple is well aware of this notion of selling culture and thrive off providing it. They know that potentially tens of thousands of people will pre-porder an apple 'thing', even before they know exactly what it is. And I personally think that's a very dirty business. But that being said, when people have what they believe are legitimate uses for it then that's fine.

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance