View Single Post
Old 01-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #5
Agustin
Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Echoing my post at Just Adventure:

Quote:
I've made up my mind and I truly think this may have been Apple's smartest move ever. Most people today are using their notebooks in the same way they would be using the iPad. Just think about it: the top three things you do with notebooks are browse the web, edit documents and watch movies. Only tech professionals perform heavier tasks such as programing or photoshopping. To most people though, notebooks have always been overkill - but they were the only option until recently to lug around your work and entertainment. The iPad offers the same features you need in this regard with longer battery life, much nicer and portable form factor and better ease of use. As for netbooks... seriously, they're just a thing of the moment, a cooler alternative for people that haven't figured out whether they need a notebook or not. I say today has marked the decline of the netbook market and the future of notebooks in general remains uncertain - my guess is the iPad and competing tablets will rise at the same pace smartphones did and take over in no time. Heck, the iPad will even eat into Apple's very own notebook market.

I'm 100% convinced now that this is the future of portable computing.
Everybody said the same thing about the iPhone when it was released - who the hell is going to need it? Today, the iPhone is an unstoppable force that has literally changed the perception of cellphones and competitors had to follow Apple's trail. Like I said, I believe the iPad will change perception of notebooks in general and people will start demanding this type of device. I see it everywhere, people taking their cumbersome laptops to cafés to read the news or login to Facebook... or carrying them around just to type some stuff. Some own a notebook for the sake of watching movies alone and you know it's true. This is all already a thing of the past, there's no question in my mind. For the average user, tablets are bound to replace notebooks, and it's going to be eerily quick.