View Single Post
Old 05-01-2004, 11:27 AM   #14
remixor
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
That really is nothing extraordinary, when compared to Agast, WME or Sludge. Possibly the only feature AGS has and other engines don't have is lip synch. So will the secret of AGS's popularity remain a mystery to me forever?
I find this hard to believe, because CJ adds new features ludicrously fast. You might be right, it just seems unlikely to me.

Quote:
Maybe not. I believe the real reasons are

1) People are scared of scripting
2) AGS might be the engine that's been around for the longest period of time => it has always had the most users => it will attract more and more users. People like to belong to as large a group as possible, or something. The amount of people using it is also thought of as saying something about its goodness.
That's a very real strength though, it's not just perceived. With such a huge community, getting help, suggestions, and constructive criticism is much, much easier. It's a huge convenience.

Quote:
For me good scripting support is THE most crucial thing in an engine. I think everything should be script-controlled.
Well, you can obviously do that in AGS.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright