View Single Post
Old 01-26-2010, 02:39 AM   #14
Jorz

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygeers View Post
It's a costing thing as much as anything - I can't afford, nor do I have the talent, to hand animate every single frame of every single character. Doing it 3D means you just need to model the characters once and the animation can be interpolated easily enough. If my skillset were different I might have chosen differently.
You know, if you made 3D models and then rendered them and used the renderers in a 2D engine, you'd get the best of both worlds.

Making models and animation wouldn't take too long, you would spend less time programming, your engine would have fewer bugs (as it's much easier to write a 2D engine than a 3D one), and you would have no performance concerns (which you would have with any 3D game running on an iPhone), meaning that you may afford better graphics and effects.

Sure that would probably mean no facial animation and interesting camera movement, but unless you have a big team, those are really hard to do anyway.

Anyway, it's an interesting project. I'd love to play a game like that, if done properly Good luck.