View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
orient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
To be honest I hated Everybody Dies - weak writing, poor gameplay, and it felt pretentious as well.

Personally, I think a great IF to try for something new to the genre is Lost Pig - great detail, superb NPCs, short, smart, cheerful, very funny, and has an amazing number of unusual actions to try. Can be played from the browser as well.
Cool, I'll give Lost Pig a try.

I felt the complete opposite in regards to Everybody Dies. I thought the crude writing suited the character's and mood of the story, in a way that most other styles of writing wouldn't have. What felt pretentious to you? Was it the "void" sections with the visual metaphors? I didn't find them particularly interesting (maybe I'm missing something), but it didn't really come across as pretentious, either. I thought more could've been done with the idea of interacting with the game based on your reactions to a still image.

I can see how the "game-play" in Everybody Dies (although I'm not quite sure it qualifies as such) could be seen as basic compared to other IFs, but I enjoyed the simplicity of it. Less frustration.

*edit* - Ahh, A Mind Forever Voyaging is the one I was looking for. I heard about it a while back. Neat. Thanks for the reminder, traz.