View Single Post
Old 05-01-2004, 06:49 AM   #9
Wormsie
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
AGS has an amazing amount of features, more than any one game developer will ever need to use. With some creative scripting, almost anything is possible. It also has a great, supportive community. Plus, if you bug CJ (the creator) enough, he'll add any new features you might require eventually... Why go with the rest, when you can go with the best?
That really is nothing extraordinary, when compared to Agast, WME or Sludge. Possibly the only feature AGS has and other engines don't have is lip synch. So will the secret of AGS's popularity remain a mystery to me forever?

Maybe not. I believe the real reasons are

1) People are scared of scripting
2) AGS might be the engine that's been around for the longest period of time => it has always had the most users => it will attract more and more users. People like to belong to as large a group as possible, or something. The amount of people using it is also thought of as saying something about its goodness.

For me good scripting support is THE most crucial thing in an engine. I think everything should be script-controlled.

Last edited by deadworm222; 05-01-2004 at 06:55 AM.