View Single Post
Old 01-10-2010, 11:58 AM   #98
Cellardoor

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

Funny story about the word Schattenjäger:

Spoiler:
The word schatten in Dutch means 'treasures', while the Dutch word jager, like the German Jäger, means 'hunter'. So, when I first played GK1 and the word Schattenjäger came up, I figured it meant 'Treasure Hunter', and that the game would be about finding some lost treasure. Of course, later on my prediction turned out to be both false and, in a way, true...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasiaD View Post
the organisation of the conversation tree is exemplary - new topics emerge gradually, after being mentioned by characters,
Yeah, I love it too, though I don't like how formal the interrogation-style dialogue sometimes becomes. Because you just go through a long list of questions, the interaction doesn't always feel genuine. Also, I don't really like the fact that half of the time most characters don't have anything to say about half of the subjects.

Still, the Detective-atmosphere it conveys suits the game really well, and it wouldn't be GK1 without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
I think my fascination with New Orleans predates my experience of Gabriel Knight by exactly three months.
Perhaps this question was raised before, but did you ever visit New Orleans, Andrea?

For that matter: Did any of the other participants visit the city, by the way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I'm a horrible person. I get even a fraction stuck, and I look up the answer..
Lol, where did you get stuck?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Writer View Post
I used to find listening to Dr John so interesting, but now it's become boring. His voice seems to change as well with some lines, like they were recorded in a different session.
The first time I played GK1, I didn't have the talkie-version. Being a Star Trek-fan, I really looked forward to hearing Michael Dorn's portrayal of Dr. John once I got the CD-version. I must admit I was a bit disappointed. It sometimes sounds as if Dorn didn't have a clear idea of how he had to voice this character. If only they would've had him perform this role the same way as he did Mr. Worf, that would have been awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zobraks View Post
Spoiler:
If you don't find a strange scale at the site of the first murder (by the Lake Pontchartrain) you won't have the dialogue option for asking the lady I Forgot Her Name (the one that has a large collection of reptiles or a single snake in a cage, I don't remember) about something important, and without that you won't be able to proceed further.
So make sure you find and take that damn scale on time.
Are you sure you can no longer find the object at that point? I believe I did so on my first playthrough...

Last edited by Cellardoor; 01-10-2010 at 01:17 PM. Reason: spoilers