View Single Post
Old 12-26-2009, 10:24 AM   #3700
geggis
the midnight rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
Not to disagree with you on any specific point, but to comment on this:

We all who went to my viewing agreed that not only did it at times turn predictable, the film down-right borrowed from many other works, myths and legends. And yes, the political/environmental comparisons were there, but I wouldn't call them trite; they were simply mechanisms/vehicles to allow us to be taken away by this world and it's people's plight (in a new, very enjoyable way).

Of course it was familiar--it is steeped in the hero mythos. I'm as okay with that as I was with Star Wars.
I agree that the political and environmental themes were necessary for the plot and I had no problems with them but it was all those throwaway remarks and as I say, platitudes that really snapped me out of the mythology. They seemed like real life news and politics soundbytes artifically underpinning the film's themes which were otherwise blatantly apparent (well at least to me). I don't feel the film needed to be that obvious to be effective.

Spoiler:
"We're going to fight terror with terror!", "So if there's something we want from someone we turn them into our enemies?", "They piss on us but haven't even got the courtesy to tell us its raining!" (probably not 100% accurate!)

Either way I'm glad I saw it and know that's it's going to be some time before anything like it comes along again, if at all.

Spoiler:
Oh and another thing, one of the most interesting parts of the film was when Sully started to question what was real to him and what was a dream. Unfortunately the film didn't linger on it enough!