View Single Post
Old 12-25-2009, 02:31 PM   #3696
geggis
the midnight rambler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
Luna, I only now saw your question about Avatar being scary. It is not a horror film, but there is violence and are tense moments. But there is also beauty and justice. I don't know what the others are talking about, but the intent of the film is to give you a sense of astonishment and amazement, plus to carry us through many well-worth mythical themes. Some of them are tired, but are still well done.
I saw Avatar the other day and have to say I came out feeling pretty neutral about it. It was very predictable and corny with a fair few political platitudes heavy handedly shoehorned in and it did the overall film a disservice. I think if these weren't in I'd have just let the cliches wash over me but they really jarred. Another thing, while the effects were amazing (the Na'vi looked incredible) the art direction I found rather uninspiring. Me and my friend said that if you threw $300 million at any art director's vision it would probably have looked just as good. It all just felt very familiar. I was really disappointed by the soundtrack as well which I expected to resemble the pulsing teaser trailer music but it was a rather underwhelming effort from Horner. For how long the film was it seemed very quickly edited not lingering for a moment to reflect some of the ideas it was pushing. Also we saw the film in 3D and to be honest I'm not sure whether it was because we were sat off center and quite close but it was really difficult to focus on certain parts of the screen and there was quite a lot of ghosting in some scenes.

However, on numerous occasions I forgot I was watching pretty much pure CG and I think this was partly down to the large stretches of it, to the point that when real people did appear I blinked in quiet awe. It really is a visual spectacle and something I'd really not liked to have missed. There were some points where I felt genuinely angry/sad/happy so the film obviously had an emotional core buried under the clunky script and eye-popping effects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
It's been mislabeled as a horror. Especially over here, in the UK. I know that a number of people were disappointed with it as a result. But yeah, it's more of a drama - an anti-horror film, you could say.

Yes, I've seen (and own) A Tale of Two Sisters. I had mixed feelings about that as well. I don't know why... I guess it's because I found it a bit confusing in places. I think I just need to rewatch it is all.

It's not a horror either, but have you seen Pan's Labyrinth? I love that film.
Yeah I found A Tale of Two Sisters a little confusing in places but the scares were unbelievable.
Spoiler:
Particularly the scenes where the sisters are in bed and the one with the presence under the sink. Brrr.

Pan's Labyrinth was fantastic but I wanted to see more of the labyrinth! Devil's Backbone is good if you haven't seen it, as well as The Orphanage. That has a really creepy bit in it.
Spoiler:
The bit with the tapping in the house. Horrible!