View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 12:12 AM   #1704
booB
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
Torchlight... Overall it's pretty fun on "very hard" and I guess it's novel to get to play "Diablo" with sharper graphics and better special effects. But it also lacks Diablo's dark/sinister feel and it's also dumbed down a bit in terms of character options. Also I liked Diablo 2's sprawling world better than playing through what is essentially one big dungeon [though I recognize that the same was true in Diablo 1]. So, long story short, I expect this will be off my hard drive within a year or two, whereas there will always be space for Diablo 2. [Heck, I haven't even done a full playthrough with all seven classes on NORMAL difficulty yet!]
If you haven't tried it yet, go get Titan Quest and its expansion. They're on sale at Steam for $10 US. This is the only Diablo-esque game that, IMO, is actually better than Diablo II. It's not as dark, and it doesn't feature any random dungeons, but the gameplay is almost identical to Diablo II -- but more user-friendly, and with more up-to-date technology. The visuals are amazing; the skill system is pretty vast (each character gets to choose two classes from the nine available); the story and dialogue are... well, we don't exactly play these sorts of games for the story and dialogue (do we? ), but they're not any worse than in the Diablos. Plus, the campaign is EXTREMELY long!!!! You will get many, many hours of gameplay (and a sore mouse hand) just from a single difficulty level. It's another "sprawling world", as you put it, but instead of one "town" per chapter, you are going to visit a series of different towns, merchants, characters, etc., in each chapter. It's very linear (except in one spot where there are two paths you can take to the same place), but it makes for a very large world.

Be warned, it takes some pretty heavy duty system specs to run this game smoothly, even though it's five years old. It's worth it, though, even if you have to turn down the video options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
The Witcher does a great job at being replayable. You can pick either side and run with it, and the game will portray the major characters of each faction differently to suit your choice. Side with the Elves, Siegfried and The Order are xenophobic zealots. While the elves are courageous freedom fighters. Side with the Order and the elves degenerate into desperate terrorists and Siegfried becomes more 'middleground' and reasonable. Its not just those characters either, lots of them shift slightly to reflect your decisions.
I didn't realize this. I haven't replayed the game yet, but now I REALLY want to. I originally stayed neutral, but I was planning on siding with the Scoia'Tel next time.

Last edited by booB; 12-23-2009 at 12:23 AM.