View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #1701
booB
Junior Mint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
I'm currently re-playing The Witcher, just about to enter the tower in the swamp.

I really don't know why I like this game, but I'm enjoying it! So many things are bad, such as the sexist collection of conquests of women as "playing cards" and the generally bad dialogue, together with the fact the main character is about as likeable as toothache.

The characters vary, some being quite good and others being terrible. All of the women will jump into bed with Geralt at the drop of a hat even though he is an idiot! The gameplay is like an MMORPG without being online or any more than single player.

However, I still really enjoy the game! I think it might be the world in which it is set. Vizima and the surrounding lands are interesting and generally good looking places to explore and the game tackles issues like racism, poverty and prostitution fairly sensitively (shame about the mysogeny!).

Many choices to be made are not simply morally black and white and the option of standing alone as neither one thing or another (which fits in well with the Character of Witchers in this game at least) is interesting too.

Didn't finish it last time I played so I'm determined to keep going this time and see how it ends!
I LOVE this game!!!!!

You're right about the fact that the PC is a self-centered, hedonistic, misogynistic, and all-around pretty unlikeable character, but I think that's part of what is so refreshing about the game. Time after time, you are expected to pick between two different evils, and I think this, plus the gritty and bleak story setting, is what has driven Geralt to become such a dick. It's interesting to see Geralt's moral compass change throughout the game, and the effect this has on his longtime cohorts.

Plus, it's a nice change of pace from the fake moral "conundrums" posed by most BioWare games, where the "good guy" and "bad guy" decisions are pretty clear-cut, and the "good guy" decisions tend to be rewarded much better (from my experience, at least). Not trying to bash those games at all, because they have their good points, but the decision-making is not nearly as interesting as it is in games like The Witcher.