View Single Post
Old 10-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
C Jkr

Default I finally got around to playing Runaway and...

Wow, I was disappointed! I want to be measured in how I say this because it's clear that while I was not impressed, people worked hard on this game. It didn't appear to be a throwaway attempt at making a good adventure and I respect their efforts. I just feel they missed the mark.

I didn't get through the first five minutes of the game. The things that were major turnoffs were as follows:

1) The opening scene where the main character was monologueing showed a fast forward montage of a bunch of action sequences that apparently were forthcoming. Why did they do this? They took out all the mystery in the game. It was the equivalent of renting a movie and seeing the preview right before watching.

2) The voice acting and dialog felt very stilted, very forced. It was just jarring to listen to.

3) The dialogue pacing was very poor, and awkward.

Many might say I didn't give it enough of a chance. I might revisit it, but it was not a strong opening.

What do I compare it to? For me the gold standard of all games in the genre is Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars.

I was definitely hoping for more.