View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 04:16 AM   #1074
Crunchy in milk
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
...Also, best story among the cRPGs? I thought everyone agreed that Planescape Torment has been and continues claiming this particular RPG throne. While I'm not interested in reading the Witcher books, I'd love to read one based on PST.
Well I actually just finished the first Witcher Book "The Last Wish". I have to say you're missing out if you skip it. Its very short and its not one long fantasy story more of a pulp fiction take on one with its narrative structure.

Its bite sized short stories that don't necessarily take place in sequential order. Given the use of the amnesia mechanic and Triss going on about not wanting to prejudice Geralt's reconstruction of his identity (by talking about his past) in the game , it was quite nice to see some of the 'truth' that's only really hinted at in the game's story. In particular the origins of Humans in the twisted fairy tale like fantasy/horror world and how the Witcher's tie in to that.

The second book 'Blood of Elves' I've only just thumbed through and it seems to deal with the major plots of the game (racial tension, and the prophecy).

I love the Planescape setting and its twist/take on the BIG questions in life, but I've read some rather dull novels set there too. I'll be panned for suggesting it but I really feel that Torment was hamstrung by the infinity engine, and I'll just come out and admit I fucking hate the D&D game system. The sooner Hasbro cut Planescape loose the better... and should that happen, no I do NOT wish Bioware would get anywhere near it (yes I know some of em' made it in the first place but have you played enough of Bioware's titles to see a pattern yet too?).