View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 11:24 AM   #1062
Crunchy in milk
delusions of adequacy

The Witcher (EE).

A delicious swim in filthy moral relativism.

I played this some time back in its initial release version (non EE) and loved it despite its flaws, the EE version is an even greater triumph and I gotta say I loved it even more the second time around as is normal with me and roleplaying games, since I knew what I was doing building my character and could pay more attention to the story. Also the EE version strings the dialogues together far more naturally and I got a better sense of the major characters as individuals this time around.

The artwork in this game is just sex for the eyes, even the ugliest of creatures is so delightfully detailed you can't help but stare. The music is top notch too if a little "ear wormy" what with the recurring witcher theme popping up in so many different variations.

Its the story though, in particular how its told, that makes this the best cRPG game ever. Geralt doesn't want to be the 'hero that saves the world but the 3 major competing factions established in the game don't give him much choice. Even if you think you're playing him as a neutral party, disinterested in politics, you're not. Neutral is a side in this game! ALL of your choices are so deliciously, morbidly grey. You help some, but at the same time harm so many others, its all choices.

Having played the game twice now, I especially love that I could work for competing interest each time through and still believe in that version of events. I didn't feel I was having to be bad, just to see the 'bad ending'. Because the major parties motivations are just as deliciously, morbidly grey. Tilt your head in any of the faction's directions and you can see their perspective and the negatives of their opposition. Glorious.

The EE just puts the bootblack's shine on this element with added cutscenes rendered in wonderful hand drawn artwork and Geralt's gritty narration hammering home the many tiered outcomes of decisions. They come up far more regularly in the EE, keeping you focused despite the many hours it takes to complete.

For the record the first time through I tried to remain neutral and groundless like the Witcher from the books, and found out I was really unintentionally helping Triss and the society of sorceresses.

This second time through I sided with Vizima and by extension the Order because I'd formed relationships with Shani, Triss and other humans who where put at great risk by the direction the elves where taking their violent struggle. And I saw potential in getting Siegfried a little muddy and less fanatical. Boy does this game deliver.

Its a bit of a shame about the fighting mechanic though which is clunky at best (but pretty to watch if you get the knack of stringing combos). The magic system is a little limited too but the potion system is another triumph. From the gathering to the brewing to the using (managing toxicity!). If you can get a decent handle on the clickety-click fighting, its worth trying The Witcher on hard difficulty because its only at that level that the potions and blade oils are mandatory for survival.