View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #1061
Fantasysci5
Stalker of Britain

Wow, I'm on a roll, and it's called a "Dave Gilbert marathon"!

Just finished "Blackwell Unbound", an amazing game full of atmosphere. I had heard many people say that it was short compared to the other "Blackwell" games, but I thought the length was perfect!

The first thing that came to my attention and I instantly loved, was the whole background and atmosphere of the game. Dave did a wonderful job at capturing that 40's (about?) feel, with all of the jazz and smoking. It felt really real, and the music in the background fit perfectly. I loved having a game based not in the present, but in the old past, with jazz bars and everything. The feeling was just magical.

Another thing I absolutely love about "Unbound", was Lauren. As much as I liked Rosa's awkwardness in the first game, I found myself liking Lauren much more. First off, her voice was perfect. You could tell she was kind of tired of doing this whole song and dance, and her voice just sounded so numb and stuff. I loved that about her character. And her relationship between her and Joey was amazing. I know that in "Legacy", Rosa is just getting used to the idea of Joey, but I loved Lauren and Joey's relationship so much more. I could almost see a relationship there, if the circumstances were different, like you know, if they could touch, etc. When Joey near the end was telling Lauren that he would be there, and she wouldn't be alone, it was just so sweet, I could tell he cared about her.

The two stories of Isaac and Mavis didn't really interest me too much, even though I thought it was hilarious every time Isaac smaked Joey with his sax. I wasn't really drawn in too much, but I didn't mind, because I loved Lauren and Joey's relationship so much more.

There was a overall feel of just melacoly, with how Lauren was feeling, the music in the background, etc, that just really made the game for me. It felt so much more, err, serious, which I loved. I haven't listened to the commentary or any of the extras, and there seems to be a lot. I can't wait, it sounds awesome. I really love this game, though.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes