View Single Post
Old 09-13-2009, 05:52 AM   #24
Trickless
full of tricks

Enjoyed the game, but there were a few things that keep it from being the 'masterpiece' that some people have made it to be. The setting and back story for Policenauts is pretty awesome, and first few scenes start things off really well. There's an amazing amount of detail within the game, but I felt the main story was a bit lacking in some parts. With the exception of Jonathan and Ed, some of the major characters were a bit shallow and needed more fleshing out.

Spoiler:

Tokugawa didn't get enough screen time for me, and just ended up a being an bad guy motivated by greed. The biggest dissapointment was Redwood, I felt he could have done with more development and backstory. He would have been one of the more interesting characters.

The main plot is good, I did enjoy the game's detail about the concept of living in space, and the issues that go with it. There were some good twists and turns but I think I was expecting a bit more from it, since there was a big amount of hype surrounding the story.

I don't think the game has managed to reach the high expectations that it had, but it's still a game I would recommend many to try out.

About the whole thing about it being an 'interactive movie', many japanese adventure games tend to focus more with the storytelling and sacrifice a lot of gameplay. If the story is whats keeping you playing, then I guess it's atleast doing what it was intended to do. I came in to the game expecting that, so it wasn't too much of a big deal for me.

Whatever anyone has to say about the game, you have to give praise to the team who translated it. Translating and then coding all of that text, not to mention fixing a few bugs that were in the original game, must have been hell. Yet there are still people bashing the whole translation effort because of a few bad lines.

For those that played and enjoyed Policenauts, definitely try out Snatcher if you haven't done so. Gameplay is a bit more simpler, but between the two Snatcher slightly edges out with a better story. It may be better to try out Snatcher first since its easier to...uh... set up