View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
Intrepid Homoludens
merely human

A lot of these opinions on other types of games seem to be based on ignorance and the propensity to take a small segment of a gaming population and impose its characteristics on all the rest of the population.

I take care of my elderly mother, taking her to doctor appointments, going with her to the bank (her eyesight is horrible), running errands for her (like getting her medicines), and other things. And yet I also play RPGs and other games that "demand" time from the player for maximum enjoyment.

That doesn't mean I put the needs of my mother aside just to get that one last ownage that'll level me up. And a vast number of MMO or RPG players out there are themselves young fathers or mothers to little kids, or they're taking care of other family members or they know better than to sacrifice their social life and professional life and whatever else just for gaming.

Adventure games are just one of a diverse bunch of game types I play.

If you are associating non-adventure games with robbing gamers of hours and hours of their time, please stop stereotyping others just because you are not interested in the games they play if it's not adventure games.

As for being burned out, the one adventure game I look forward to is Heavy Rain. Because it's different. I got burned out on adventure games a long while ago because they all felt the same afterwards. Then I got to that baking puzzle and slider puzzle in Still Life and I was, like, WTF!

I do, however, keep an eye out for new adventure games that don't fall into that trap, which is why I check here often.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 09-10-2009 at 08:50 PM.