View Single Post
Old 09-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #3593
tsa
Playing character

I was bored and feeling down yesterday so I went to see a movie on my own. I hadn't done that since Jurassic Park, 150 years ago. I could choose between Millennium and Everlasting Moments. I eventually went to the latter. I didn't like it very much. That probably had something to do with my state of mind, but also a lot with the story and the way it was filmed. The colors were weird. They reflected the life of the protagonist in an artsy but annoying way: when life was bad for her, the movie had almost no colors and everything was in a sort of off-colour sepiar. The better the circumstances, the more color there would be. Artsy done but it annoyed me, because the settings were really beautiful and the lack of color destroyed a lot of the watching pleasure for me. Story-wise there wasn't much pleasure to be had either. From IMDB: "In a time of social change and unrest, war and poverty, a young working class woman, Maria, wins a camera in a lottery. The decision to keep it alters her whole life." In the movie, Maria turned out to be a natural talent with the camera. The story is set just before and during WWI, and life was tough on the family, with a father who was addicted to alcohol and sex, and the family growing bigger every year. For some reason the woman didn't leave her husband, although she had every reason to, for he had a way of destroying all the little pleasantries she had with her children by hitting them and her for no good reason when he was drunk. He also had a girlfriend, and he raped his wife once, which led to yet another child. But in the end, it was the father who made everything well. Just after he got back from prison(!) he borrowed a lot of money to start a new life. All the colors came back and I was glad to be allowed to finally go home.