View Single Post
Old 08-29-2009, 08:51 PM   #38151
Sage
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo View Post
Hey, Scott. The best (or worst) recent example I can think of is from a guy on the bus who had these characters inked on his upper arm:

As soon as I read the characters, I knew exactly what he was trying to convey... except three of the four characters were used in the wrong context! He obviously just flipped through a Chinese dictionary and didn't bother checking with a Chinese-speaking person.

The first character means "work" as in something made, created or composed and the verb "to do/make" or but NOT the verb "to work".
The third character is the only correct one, it means "to play".
The second/fourth character literally means "hard" as in stiff and inflexible, not as in "with a lot of effort".

So obviously the phrase the young man was going for was "Work hard, play hard". He noticed me looking at his tat and said "Nice, eh? I bet you can read what it says!" () I complimented the excellent, professional colouring of the characters but when I told him what the characters really meant... not surprisingly, he was floored. The guy didn't seem angry, just a little embarrassed.

This is your life lesson for the day, folks. An excellent way to kill this Thread.
So the guy's tattoo actually said "Made stiff to play stiff"? ROFL!
Actually, that's a lot more creative and certainly more suggestive than "Work hard, play hard".

Share the love.

<3