View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 12:07 PM   #15
L-Jazz

Send a message via MSN to L-Jazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
I agree that exploring that universum would be fun, but I don't see why it has to become an MMORPG. Every single MMORPG is based on grinding or competition, so Dreamfall Online will be an adventure plus lots of grinding. Why not just make more sequels to the original game and skip the RPG portion? I had the impression that most TLJ/Dreamfall fans despised the combat introduced in Dreamfall anyway.

I can't imagine even one fun thing Dreamfall Online could introduce gameplay-wise that couldn't be implemented in single player. Open world, lots of things to discover, more freedom than a conventional adventure, all that things you mentioned could as well be part of a single-player game.

Also, such an MMO would be a commerial failure, just take a look at URU Live. The adventure community is small as it is, the portion of it that'd be willing to regulary invest money in an online game would be even smaller. In order to attract other gamers, Dreamfall Online would have to directly compete with WoW/Eve, i.e. introduce the competetive elements, thus grinding, thus transforming Dreamfall into another WoW clone.
Well, since the topic is about MMORPG's I just reacted to that (it's not a thread about which sequels you want to play) But I could easily see the TLJ/Dreamfall universe as just a massive online world, no grinding and levelling and slaying monsters.
I personally have no problem at all with the combat sequences, but that's probably because I'm used to all kinds of genres, not just Adventure.

I do agree with you about single player sequels, that's on top of my wishing list, I just want the story to continue, BUT, I wouldn't mind a game where I could decide for myself where I wanted to go and what I wanted to do in Stark or Arcadia or anywhere else.

And I don't necessarily think it would be a failure given Funcom's experience with MMO's, Anarchy Online and Age of Conan have quite a lot of players don't they? Isn't Funcom's current project The Secret World also an MMO game?