View Single Post
Old 08-26-2009, 07:41 AM   #12
kuze
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by L-Jazz View Post
First of all, a MMORPG and an Adventure game are not the same thing, so you wouldn't be playing an adventure game online with other people, if that is what you meant.
And I believe the TLJ/Dreamfall universe is full of things you want to know, there are places in the games which are only mentioned, never seen. There are so many races living in the different lands and imagine being able to travel wherever you would like whenever you want in that massive world. I mean, you got Stark, Arcadia, The Winter and The Guardian's Realm.

Dreamfall introduced the fighting element, so that's something they could build on. Don't know what the main element would be, or if it would be connected to the actual story from TLJ & Dreamfall, but I imagine a much more free gaming experience than a linear Adventure game with a beginning, middle and ending.

Hope there are more people out there who share some of my opinions of wanting to explore the TLJ/Dreamfall universe in a deeper way.
I agree that exploring that universum would be fun, but I don't see why it has to become an MMORPG. Every single MMORPG is based on grinding or competition, so Dreamfall Online will be an adventure plus lots of grinding. Why not just make more sequels to the original game and skip the RPG portion? I had the impression that most TLJ/Dreamfall fans despised the combat introduced in Dreamfall anyway.

I can't imagine even one fun thing Dreamfall Online could introduce gameplay-wise that couldn't be implemented in single player. Open world, lots of things to discover, more freedom than a conventional adventure, all that things you mentioned could as well be part of a single-player game.

Also, such an MMO would be a commerial failure, just take a look at URU Live. The adventure community is small as it is, the portion of it that'd be willing to regulary invest money in an online game would be even smaller. In order to attract other gamers, Dreamfall Online would have to directly compete with WoW/Eve, i.e. introduce the competetive elements, thus grinding, thus transforming Dreamfall into another WoW clone.