View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 04:10 AM   #1521
Roper Klacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by booB View Post
The only reason I can think of that one would say this about Legend is because of all the tech Lara uses. Certainly, story-wise, TRs 2 and 3 are the least Tomb-Raiderish games in the franchise, as they primarily involve hiking through modern man-made environments, and fighting mostly humans, as opposed to animals or monsters. Gameplay-wise, I would think that 6 would be the least Tomb-Raiderish game, due to its severely changed control scheme and reliance on stealth. I didn't like 3 because there was WAY too much backtracking in the levels (especially Nevada); I think they wanted to artificially extend the gameplay hours. I didn't like TR 4 and 5 (and stopped playing them both VERY early) because I didn't think the graphics were good enough for what they wanted to do with the games. I had a VERY hard time finding paths through the levels, because I simply couldn't tell where I was supposed to run, grab, etc. The early levels were so brutal that I didn't even want to take on the later ones. I still have never played 6, but I have heard it's the worst of the franchise by far. I can honestly say that Legend is my third favorite game of the franchise, but I have not played Anniversary or Underworld yet.
Legend was basically an action game, with almost no exploration and puzzle solving, and was ridiculous short and extremely easy and linear. Fortunatly the next Crystal games are way better, specially Anniversary. What i liked about The Last Revelation (i replayed it a few weeks ago) are all the aspects i said that Legend didn't have. It's long, hard, has a LOT of exploration in gorgeous enviroments (we can get easily lost) and almost feels like an adventure game with lots of puzzle solving, and good puzzles too, not those irrealistic "find the key/push the block/open door" of previous TR (especially 2 and 3). Angel of Darkness could have been a good game, the levels were great, but those controls were just too clunky. Chronicles is easily the worst of them, but that was almost like a spin off made to get a few more bucks to the AoD budget. Overall in my opinion, 1, 2, 4 and anniversary are the top TR games.