Thread: I hate puzzles.
View Single Post
Old 08-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #91
Terramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports View Post
Although my title was probably a bit provoking, I was hoping we could chat about games where puzzles were unnecessary and did detract and/or games where they were seamlessly integrated into the narrative.

I've already mentioned a couple that don't work for me:

TLJ
Broken Sword 1

...and a few that do:

Riven
Myst 3
Loom
Police Quest
I don't mind puzzles if they're well integrated into the plot. I generally accepted Myst III's as logical to the story (Atrus teaching his sons the lessons of balance, etc) although I'll admit I didn't know what the heck I was doing during the 2nd half of Edanna (when you're just randomly tapping on plants so that the insects bugger off).

Whilst not a fan of item based puzzles, Sanitarium worked for me, as there wasn't a single one I couldn't solve logically hence they never slowed me down.

But that's the problem. Puzzles in most adventures are there simply to temporarily halt the player's progression. Not only does it destroy the suspension of disbelief but it also the pacing.

A fantastic example is Still Life. If you play that through whilst solving the puzzles immediately from being introduced to them the game runs through as smooth as clockwork.

Problem was, there was a sever lack of puzzles in that game, and to make up for it they were obnoxiously hard and nonsensical, so I would spend 30 minutes to an hour happily strolling through one scene to the next when suddenly faced with a puzzle that stops me dead in my tracks for hours, days, weeks!

Now I enjoy a challenge, but first you need to be motivated to solving the puzzle i.e. it needs to be enjoyable, and you need to feel they're not so much a puzzle but a way of the story interacting with the player by making them think.

I think Broken Sword's puzzles worked for the majority. I just wish George gave a little more clarity.