Thread: I hate puzzles.
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #90
Marduk

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

I like puzzles. I agree with a lot of the comments of regarding puzzles from both sides of this debate.

But I still like to be challenged by them. I feel a sense of satisfaction when I've worked out what I'm supposed to do and the more taxing the puzzle at hand has been the more satisfied I feel when I get it.

I feel considerably less satisfied when the puzzle didn't make sense. When the characters’ must do something that nobody in reality would dream of doing to achieve their goals or when a simpler (or at least far more obvious) solution was already available to them.

If, however, I have tried everything and resort to looking up a walkthrough or hints guide (etc) only to find the answer was something I should have thought of, that would make me think "Ah, why didn't I think of that?" or "Well at least that made sense" I feel it's still been a good puzzle and the only problem with it is the fact that I either gave up on it before I got it or that I simply wasn't up to the task. I'd feel slightly let down but I'd have plenty of respect for the game and its developers.

It's only the ones that make me think (or, as the case might be, shout loudly); "That makes No sense!" or "How the F--- was I supposed to get that?" or even "oh COME ON, why couldn't I just use the damn CANDLE??" that get to me.

Naturally those puzzles bother everybody else.

I'm extremely worried that developers are really going to cut out too many puzzles altogether.