View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 10:40 AM   #167
Flink
Bad-food

Was some time i checked in here so i did a fast read through of the latest pages and here's my opinion.

I think the biggest problem about why developers can't take AG's to the next level don't first and formost lies in the AG genre. I think the problem is more widespread then that. I think the whole game industry needs to experiment more with the media and try to push the limits of what it's capable of, then i think we will see genres like AG's evolving to new and exciting things.

And this is not a "Can games be art" opinion that have circle the internet for the last year(s) so everybody that gets very upset by that can now calm down cus this is not one of them. I think a big part of the game industry is in a bad loop right now, afraid of trying new stuff, building their companies like unstable card houses depending on money from the big publishers. But the good thing is that we see more independent developers succeeding without big budgets and teams of 200 people, just look at Eskil Steenberg, a one man army developing a MMO called LOVE . It's a pretty uniqe case but i think it proves that you could do pretty awesome stuff without a team consisting of 200 people and a budget on XX millions.

So i think if deveoplers are starting to take risks and do new cool stuff many will follow and try to do the same. I have only worked in the industry for two years now but I'm already tired of the attitude and status of the industry, so on my spare time I'm developing a isometric puzzle/adventure game called Pathfinder (Random level concept that doesn't tell anything about the game.) and doing small prototypes that will try to explore more of the game/interactive media.

And my opinion on non-linear games like Oblivion that tries to have a good narrative and a open world. I really want them to feel linear with the narration and when you make an important choice it should just be under the hood, the story shall proceed along the branch you choosed just as if it the game was scripted to go that way. But that's just my what i would want from these non-linear/open world games. So one of my prototypes that I'm currently working on is about "Dynamic interactive storytelling", trying to have a non-linear game that feels very linear.

So this was just some random thoughts, popping out of me, hope it made some sense.