View Single Post
Old 08-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #86
ozzie

Dullness. Many adventure games are incredibly uninspired.

Wrong focus. I'm not a fan of puzzle collections wrapped inside a thin story.

Low quality. Should be obvious, but there are websites that rated Limbo of the Lost pretty high, maybe out of starvation for a good game. I don't lower my demands, though. With that comes the puzzle design. If a shooter has a badly designed section you may have to kill the same clone foes over and over again, but for an adventure it's much worse. You may have to pixelhunt, read the designer's mind, endure a thousand "This doesn't work", hunt for unrelated event triggers or die of terrible boredom. Sadly, most reviews don't explain these problems very well.

No Money. I'm just a poor student, so...

Hardware requirements that I can't fulfill. I don't own a console so I won't be able to play Heavy Rain, for example. Otherwise, my laptop could barely run The Book of Unwritten Tales.

Certainly not time. I have a lot of games that still need to be played and they just get more and more...sure, most of them are part of my curiosity collection, more meant to be examined than to be played from beginning to end. Others refuse to run properly even if the box proclaims that it works with XP (The Westerner). Also, if I pick up a new game I will prioritize playing it over any older game. So, the backlog of games or time isn't an issue. I just play them when I come to it. Doesn't bother me if I may never come to it.

Last edited by ozzie; 08-10-2009 at 03:21 PM.