View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 07:21 AM   #166
mgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
I understand this. Yeah, traditionally - or at least theoretically - adventure games are supposed to be known for [the quality of their] storytelling. And yet, at least anecdotally, we get many complaints from gamers themselves that the quality of today's adventures aren't as good as those of yesteryear's. What the hell happened? Did all the good writers of adventures back then get replaced by English Lit failures and dropouts? Did the very talented writers instead get hired by non-adventure game companies?
And this is what baffles me. You're right. Many folks around here get very excited at the prospect of the newer games coming out, and then become disappointed when they do arrive. Especially a sequel to one of their beloved "classics". Dreamfall being a perfect example.

Love or hate Dreamfall, (I personally thought it was overrated, but good), it is an example of trying something new in the genre, and I respect Tornquist for taking a leap of faith and deviating from the norm. Obviously whether it worked or not is very debatable as these very forums will attest.

Still Life another good example. While I never finished it, (the baking puzzle turned me off), most folks seem to think the sequel is inferior. I tried the demo, and rather liked it, but like most games nowadays, I wait for a price drop before I buy.

But I think there's a reason for all the debate.

3D has been introduced to the genre now and making it's way into more and more AG's. ACKKKK!! NO!!! Sorry, couldn't resist.

And while I agree that most AG's that implement it haven't gotten it right yet, eg; Dreamfall, Indigo, SH, I believe it is the wave of the future whether people like it or not. I do think there will always be a market for the classic point and click, but even now we tend to see more and more 3D games coming to the market.

It's a natural progression, and that's why I personally still have high hopes for the genre.