View Single Post
Old 08-07-2009, 01:47 AM   #165
AndreaDraco83

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Given that I haven't played Mass Effect (sadly, because I really wanted to), the game is just an example, an excellent example - based on your opinion - of an RPG that did story and storytelling right.

Nevertheless, ME is a rara avis, in my opinion, or at least when it comes to RPG and storytelling: Bloodlines had a strong narrative, plenty of atmosphere and lots of detective work, plus a segment - the haunted hotel - that was basically an adventure game, with documents to read, clues to piece together and many rooms to explore (Ã* la Dark Fall). If ME is equally strong, that makes two of them. But when it comes to other titles in the genre - Morrowind, Oblivion (my absolute favorite), The Witcher, Drakensang, Divinity, not to mention things like Diablo or Sacred - the narrative framework is still severely underused.

That's the same thing for adventures. For a title that coherently pushes the boundaries of the genre, innovating it from within, there are many hackneyed titles with rather dull stories and convoluted conundrums. And the same, I think, can be said for any other genre out there.

Innovation is a rare thing, otherwise it wouldn't be innovation.

As for the superlative storytelling, I never thought that it was exclusive to the adventure genre. I still think, though, that - if done well - there is no other genre like adventures capable of enhance the narrative*.

* Mind you, I'm thinking mainly of investigative/mystery titles, which are a sub-genre almost impossible to convey in a FPS or in a RPG, since it suppose no other activities that the brainy-logical-deductive process of finding an answer.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box