View Single Post
Old 08-03-2009, 07:35 AM   #1008
JemyM

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Secret Files 2: Puritas Cordis
Secret Files 1: Tunguska was a mystery adventuregame that tried very hard to be the professionally made 2d adventuregame we all craved for, but in the end couldn't impress me. There was something missing. For one thing the characters never got to me and the humor often failed. When I heard that a sequel was coming I hoped they would make a better job, but now after I finished the game I don't know what to think.

The 2d artwork looks good, except for the miniportrait of Nina who looked weird compared to the large image used in the game menu. The 3d models didn't look that well either. The game is rather silent, I could barely hear any ambient noise and there were no music outside the main menu. Perhaps there was something wrong with my audio. I experienced some bugs, such as a paper cup that couldn't be picked up when the game was played in widescreen mode, which automatically happens if your desktop is set to widescreen mode. After some strolling around forums I temporary changed the desktop to 4:3 and then the paper cup popped up where it should be. I also noted that the return button often ended up outside the monitor, and there were some places where you had to click on stuff in the bottom of the screen, that were often covered with the autoappearing inventory menu.

And the story is rather unconnected as well. I spent a large part of the game solving puzzles that felt outside the story, some felt like extremely long solutions for simple problems. There's this place you need to find several special stones all over Paris to get past a short gap, it seems the stones have to be the right ones and cannot be substituted, but guess what? They are conveniently placed just so you will be able to find them by strolling around...

This is probably not the first game I would mention to introduce someone to the adventure genré. The mechanisms for puzzlesolving is quite well done, there's even a "search for hints" button that points out key items on each screen. It just doesn't feel very interesting to bother.