Thread: I hate puzzles.
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 03:41 PM   #58
crabapple

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet View Post
And now for a contrary view. I know I'm the only one here that finds the plot gets in the way of the puzzles.
No you're not. But I think it depends on the type of game. Obsidian would not have been helped by more conversation. But I don't know that Syberia would have been helped by more puzzles.
Quote:
Give me a quest, or a backstory to sort out (Dark Fall, Rhem, etc), but make it so there are tons of things to work out and have new places open up for exploration. I love puzzles - sliders, mazes, math, logic. Don't side track me with dialogue or people to meet.
In many games, the dialogue is so tedious I'd just as soon do without it. It's a rare game where I actually enjoy the voices and dialogue. And puzzles that are "integrated with the story" tend to not be fun. Puzzles that are "integrated with the gameworld," as in RHEM or Myst, are more enjoyable. But I'm perfectly happy with puzzles that crop up without any excuse at all -- as long as they're fun to do. I'm more tolerant of silly puzzles than silly conversation.