View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 03:00 AM   #1005
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

I finally got around to finishing The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass. I started around a year ago, and every few months I'd progress a tiny bit before getting bored and stopping. This time I picked it up, I found that I had stopped playing at the game's climax. That should give an indication of how dull this game is.

The story is awful, and it's made worse by the fact that it's a direct sequel to The Wind Waker and I already care about these characters. I wanted to see what happened with Link and Tetra, what sorts of adventures they'd get themselves into, and I get this. Tetra spends the entire game needing to be rescued, and the story is actually about a fairy with no memory and less personality, and a villain so generic that I couldn't tell you anything about him even though I just beat him.

The gameplay has occasional bits of cleverness, but mostly it's just by-the-numbers stuff with no creativity or enthusiasm. The only good thing I can say about this game is that it's got some decently dramatic boss fights.
2/5