View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 06:02 PM   #68
millenia
She Wants Revenge

Dreamfall is very playable. I dislike action sequences too but it was all rather easy (didn't need walkthru anywhere) and I only lost one fight at quite beginning. Anyway even if you screw up you usually get another try and another and another. So it's just a bit of patience and/or luck to get through.

What might become a problem is the second visit to the caves (wont get any more specific so I don't spoil) but in that case you can just check a walkthru. Dreamfall never requires lightning reflexes so everything is easily doable if you just figure out what you should do. There is really only one long sequence of sneaking (that happens to be rather easy) and that one long sequence of action/running in the caves. The game is easily worth whacking some buttons to get through those.

I admit the game would be 5/5 to me without the silly action parts but it's still a solid 4.5 with them. You might need to fiddle with the settings a bit to make the controls work for you though. Inverting mouse and lowering the sensitivity made it work for me. Lots of people swear to gamepad (I didn't have the option at the time).

Action is one of the reasons I usually pass an adventure game, but if I'm expecting a great experience overall, I will tolerate some of it. I play other than slow paced point&click games too, but the problem is that most of the adventure games that have action don't just have action, they have clumsy, stupid and pointless action that only works as an irritation and doesn't add anything to the game.