View Single Post
Old 07-08-2009, 01:24 AM   #3520
MoriartyL
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
Nothing's happened?! Okay, mild spoiler time (wrapped in spoiler tags of course, so you are forewarned):
Spoiler:
Vulcan, Romulous, Spock-prime??
Spoiler:
Nothing happened to Romulus, not in this timeline. That's just backstory for the characters. Vulcan I'll give you, that was a surprising plot point.

Anyway, I don't mean that literally nothing at all happened, I mean that very little happened spread out over the entire movie. Understand that this is not really a criticism, since as I said the lack of plot didn't bother me either time that I watched it. It's just an explanation for why I felt like I wanted more after seeing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
I didn't finish DS9 due to it's ongoing soap-opera development of its characters, so tell me: did they every come full circle in respect to Sisko being the emissary? That would be the only arc that I would like to see resolved in that series. If it did, good for them.
Spoiler:
By the final season Sisko doesn't have any doubts that he's the Emissary anymore, and Sisko's storyline becomes a generic "good gods vs. evil gods" fight. The climax of that whole character arc is a fist-fight with now-insane Gul Dukat over an evil book. It's rather pathetic. Kai Opaka never shows up again, even though she said their paths would cross again.

I think it's ridiculous to praise DS9 for having an ongoing plot, because the ongoing plot is terrible. The Cardassian-Bajoran conflict never goes anywhere, instead being replaced by yet another conflict. That new enemy is promised (in the season 3 finale) to be really scary and capable of striking Earth, and then they resolve the whole threat in a two-parter later. At the end of the fifth season the writers set up a new, interesting status quo, then use a deus ex machina to undo it a few episodes later as if it never happened. A major war breaks out, and it's almost completely ignored for its duration. Then it finally builds up to what seems like it'll be a huge climax, and it's resolved in something like thirty seconds.

It's perfectly obvious that the writers had no clue where they were going at any step during the way. That is no way to write a long-form story. If you want plot, you watch Babylon 5. You don't watch DS9.