View Single Post
Old 04-18-2004, 10:47 AM   #47
Squinky
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadworm222
I find it interesting that Scramm and Glumol, which were supposed to be fully functioning when released, died, whereas Agast, AGS and other engines that were first released as betas and development versions are still alive. Probably has something to do with getting people actually to use the engine and give input and feedback, which in turn will give the engine developers an incentive to keep on working.

Or maybe Scramm only existed on paper. Does anyone have any insight?
I was supposed to alpha-test SCRAMM! I even had conversations with the developer about how it was to work and such, and got to see a screenshot of the splash screen. (which some of you may remember me posting at the SCRAMM forum a long, long time ago)

I beta-tested SLUDGE, though, and that definitely got me places.

As for why it's hard to find good artists, I've also noticed that even if you do find people who are willing, it's VERY difficult to keep a team together. Ever noticed how big, elaborate projects with many people on various sides of the world are more likely to become vapourware than smaller, less-ambitious projects made only by one person? Eventually, team members start losing touch; maybe one will lose interest, maybe another one will have a sudden tragedy in his/her life that needs attention... who knows?