View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 04:43 AM   #10
stepurhan
Freeware Co-ordinator

The slashdot link only reference for the story is the netlaunch one you originally posted. Hardly supporting evidence.

The second link references Gearfuse. Now Gearfuse actually does allege to have two sources for this story. Unfortunately neither are in English so i can't tell if they are reliable references or not.

Quote:
Well all the figures will be estimations in that sense, the precision you are asking for needs some sort of internet big brother to monitor & register all traffic and then report that to copyright holders. Unless we have that all data is anecdotal?
I'm not looking for precision as such. The point I'm making is the figure of 90% is being bandied around but there doesn't seem to be anything concrete to hang it on. In fact, Lucien's links appear to be presenting a much lower figure.

By "anecdotal" what I mean is unsubstantiated by data. The closest we've got is the World of Goo story. However, he's not supplying detailed figures and I've already pointed out ways in which the number can vary. Even if that figure is accurate you can't extrapolate it to the games market as a whole. You'd need to ask questions like "Is World of Goo particularly easy to pirate?" for example. If it is, then figures are likely to be higher because less technical skill is required. (If anyone can simply copy it on to a CD for a mate then you're going to get more piracy)

Quote:
We don't know how well pirates can react, so far they can react 90% worse, in the future no-one really knows.
So why the hate for PCs?(which is what started this) There is already evidence that console piracy is possible so saying all games should be switched to consoles because of piracy is a non-starter.

Quote:
but fact is that there piracy seems 90% lower. PC piracy is 10x times console piracy. You say thats slightly slow down, I say its a huge slow down, both are opinions but here the only known fact is that 90% less piracy is good enough for developers to pay more attention to consoles.
You said it was -10% (minus 10%). That's not 10 times less. Have I misunderstood you there.

Quote:
Also for handhelds, the job is easier and there is little to lose if you do it but for the xbox you lose DLC, access to online services.
What causes that to happen. I mean in the context of why are you certain this cannot be circumvented?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
Thanks for that MORE

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...y_is_rampant/1

"On another PC related note, we pulled some disturbing numbers this past week about the amount of PC players currently playing Multiplayer (which was fantastic). What wasn't fantastic was the percentage of those numbers who were playing on stolen copies of the game on stolen / cracked CD keys of pirated copies (and that was only people playing online)," said Robert.

"[I'm] not sure if I can share the exact numbers or percentage of PC players with you, but I'll check and see; if I can I'll update with them. As the amount of people who pirate PC games is astounding. It blows me away at the amount of people willing to steal games (or anything) simply because it's not physical or it's on the safety of the internet to do."
Not quoting figures so still not justifying 90% (which was your original claim) I'm not denying piracy happens.
Quote:
Call of Duty 4 isn't the only game that has suffered because of pirates this year - both Crysis and Unreal Tournament 3 have had disappointing sales, which publishers chalk up to a mixture of piracy and steep system requirements.
How much is to piracy? How much is to steep system requirements? If there's more than one variable you can't ascribe a percentage to one of them without more data.

More
A bit like the World of Goo example. He says it's not a figure he's pulling out of thin air but without knowing how he came up with that figure I can't tell if it's reliable. Also one game is still not piracy generally. See World of Goo point above.

Quote:
A final blow to this whole topic

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...d=apRPoA_dd_7U
If their figure is reliable (the BSA survey backing it up has a professional look but I haven't thoroughly reviewed it. It's also the place Lucien linked to above) then it's a final blow to your 90% claim. They are citing 41%

I don't deny piracy exists, that would be stupid. What I'm saying is no-one is presenting solid evidence of the 90% claim (in fact, I'm getting a variety of surveys not based on a single piece of software that show much lower figure) There is also evidence that consoles suffer piracy as well. It is at best naive to suggest that moving all games from PC will eradicate piracy. If that's where the money is, that's where the pirates will go. They've cracked all the PC systems over the years. What makes you think they won't crack all the console ones as well?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree

Last edited by stepurhan; 05-29-2009 at 05:25 AM.