View Single Post
Old 05-28-2009, 09:58 AM   #6
stepurhan
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by imisssunwell View Post
I find it insignificant that locally @ USA piracy is lower, the world figures are still high. The funniest link (not a gaming one) is http://www.newlaunches.com/archives/...d_in_china.php
Still high, maybe. 90%. Not by that graph.

As for new link. Doesn't quote percentages, specific piece of software, specific region, anecdotal (though I presume you have some reason for considering this site a trustworthy source. I've never heard of it and the story doesn't link to a microsoft site showing the figures which would give the story veracity.)
Quote:
Also see http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6449421.stm, "In Eastern Europe, Asia and South America the losses are estimated to be 90% plus"
Estimated. As in, figure we've just made up for the news story. There may well be a solid basis for the figure but the story doesn't present it. Also, if 90% is for a specific region where piracy is prevalent then the percentage has to be lower.
Quote:
regarding dynamic ip argument I can use a proxy argument and say it underestimates the number and claim the number is greater, does it make any real difference really? 90% could be 93% it could be 87%
Maybe your proxy argument is valid as well. I don't have statistics on the prevalence of dynamic IP addresses or proxies. My point is, without this information the figure is unreliable. You're saying that the variation is only going to be about 3% either way but without data on what could throw the figure out that's just an amount you've pulled out of thin air.

Quote:
2nd link shows console piracy is at ~10% of PC piracy...
So still pretty high and companies going to console only is going to make it a growing market because pirates will have to switch to pirating console games if that's all there is.

Devices exist that allow you to pirate console games (I was offered an item that would allow me to do just that for a well-known hand-held. I wasn't interested) Even if piracy on PC is currently higher than console (even if I'll argue the precise figure not requiring extra hardware to accomplish makes it seem likely) going console only is only going to slightly slow down pirates, not stop them.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree

Last edited by stepurhan; 05-28-2009 at 10:14 AM.