View Single Post
Old 04-16-2004, 07:04 AM   #42
DaveGilbert

Send a message via AIM to DaveGilbert Send a message via MSN to DaveGilbert Send a message via Yahoo to DaveGilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yufster
It's not easy to find and recruit good artists for a project. Most artists that are professional quality, for a start, aren't going to be looking for a freeware game project to waste their time on when they could be spending their time looking for REAL work in the REAL video game industry or whatever.

Second, it's a lot of dedication and work, and it's hard to find people who actually want to spend this much time working on somebody else's artistic vision. Most good artists make their OWN games rather than be tied down by somebody else's idea.

You'd be surprised, Yuf. I've met many artists in the "scene" who prefer to bring to life somebody else's vision. Usually they are very talented artists but don't have the writing or coding skills to make a game. Or they work better with direction. As long as they are certain that their efforts are going towards a quality project that will get finished, you will find many artists perfectly willing to share their talents. On the flip side, I consider myself a good writer and an OK coder, but an absolutely HORRIBLE artist. If a talented artist approached me and asked if I could do the dialog and coding for their game, I would jump at it.