View Single Post
Old 05-20-2009, 09:42 AM   #97
Marvellous G

Hi everyone, my first post here too.

While they might not be reinventing the genre, I think that the current way forward until the next Tim Schafer comes along is traditional, but good, DS adventure games. They're selling fairly well from what I hear, and some get great reviews, and are exceptional, like, in my opinion, Hotel Dusk and Phoenix Wright (although I respect the latter isn't really an 'adventure game'). Almost all of them seem to get at least passable reviews, and while I'm not even going to pretend any of them innovate at all, they are succeeding in bringing back a genre many deem to be dead to the masses.

Surely if DS, and to a certain extent, Wii adventure games keep selling, then bigger developers might try their hand? Maybe this could bring about the much needed innovation the genre needs. And with Sam and Max, Wallace and Gromit, and maybe Monkey Island coming to XBLA, they might shift a few copies. If that happens, we can only hope that someone realises just how much people love this genre, and maybe they'll make the next great adventure game we all want. While it's not a traditional adventure game, I personally think that Heavy Rain might be that landmark game.