View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 06:06 PM   #83
heribertovalle

Well, if you don't like Adventure games anymore, don't play them. I'm all for not letting bad quality through your wallet, but no one benefits from just declaring that it's pointless.

Adventure games are NOT part of RPGs, nor are they de-clawed combat-less role playing derivates. Adventure games have always been adventure games, and they are a unique genre. Granted, they're rarer nowadays, and they might have become a niche genre. But to grow a niche genre, you have to find new ways to deliver content.

Now, I've always liked that adventure games allow you to tell a good story with enthralling characters at a relaxed pace. But it seems everyone else forgot about that. Between the many bad releases, there are good ones. And adventure games are not dead, they're just not the gigantic part of the mainstream gaming industry.

But Sassing and dismissing adventure games as not being good enough for today's standards is kind of like saying there's no room for a certain genre of books just because it's not what's IN now. Say, just as an example. Let's say the mystery genre goes out of use (very unlikely), and all books are dramas nowadays. Do you go about saying mystery is dead? nah, mystery would be rare, but people would still buy it and produce it, albeit in different quantities and qualities.

Although, I do agree that the adventure genre is kind of becoming a love/hate affair. I found that I can't be neutral about recent games. I either think they're just idiotic, or that they're very good. There is a lot of good to be had in the genre, I just wish there was more threading into the unknown. Even the adventure genre seems to stick to a certain kind of theme and gameplay nowadays.

Although I think the answer lies in better games (in quality of writing), for a broader audience, encompassing many different topics (something that is quite feasible with the budgets needed to produce adventure games and the capacity for small developers to tackle the genre) and that tackle the genre's shortcomings (because much of them have to do with design, writing and quality), there is no reason to feel down just because adventures aren't what they used to be. ultimately, that only means that we've got the chance to make a good adventure and prove people wrong.

I myself hope to make a good adventure that will turn eyebrows and rise above all the others. Let's wait, work and see!

Shades of Violet: Song of the Clockwork Princess - Real soon!