View Single Post
Old 05-17-2009, 09:09 AM   #80
mgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
Does this forum attract this topic a lot? I remember the 'adventure game is dead' conversation being had in 2001. Anywho, the point-and-click adventure has surely seen its last days - just like the death of the text adventure before it.
This is what bothers me about the genre. Point and click is not dead. There are quite a few people that visit this forum that become outraged if a game is made without this dated gameplay mechanism.

Frogwares who develop the Sherlock Holmes games even went to the extent of totally revamping SH The Awakened to accommodate the traditional AG'er. Why should game devs bother with trying to innovate when many people don't want it? They can continue to pump out traditional AG's with dated graphics, convoluted puzzles and weak storylines because that's exactly what sells within the genre. And why not? There's much cheaper to make after all.

While I admit that games like Dreamfall, Indigo Prophecy and The Experiment have their faults, they at least tried something new in the genre. I'm not saying all AG's are in this mold. I recently completed Lost Crown, and while it had it's fair share of things I personally don't like in an AG, it also contained some fresh ideas that the genre is desperately in need of IMO.

Last edited by AndreaDraco83; 05-17-2009 at 09:48 AM.